Sunday, June 21, 2009

2006 Striolo Chianti Classico Tuscany Italy


Susanna Soderi together with her mother meticulously run this small estate near Castellina in Chianti. The territory, because of its marly chalk and sandy soil is known within the Chianti region for its elegant, delicate and fragrant Sangiovese. The four hectares of vineyards, planted in 1999 are cultivated at a quasi-organic regime and produce a mere 7200 bottles of wine.

The philosophy of Setriolo is clearly expressed in the 2 images on their label which represent the historic farm and a stylized image of the one olive tree that survived the big frost in 1985 and still stands today, alone amidst the newly planted vineyards: a desire to move forward, while respecting nature and history.

2006 Setriolo Chianti Classico Tuscany Italy
Suggested retail price $21-$23
Distributed by Jan d'Amore Wines in NYC

This organically farm wine was made from 100% Sangiovese grapes, carefully harvested and selected from young vines planted (at 300 feet above sea level) in 1999 and 2005. The wine undergoes a fermentation of 20 days in stainless steel tanks and cement vats where the malolactic also takes place. About 60% of the wine was then matured for 12 months in second-used French barriques, the remaining 40% in stainless steel tanks and cement vats, then blended and bottled.

The medium to light intensity color is clean, clear and bright ruby red. The nose is earthy, floral, with hints of red berry and roses. The palate is, overall, soft, rounded and well balanced with great acidity and good length. Young and juicy, this is a really enjoyable, bright and traditional Chianti Classico. Lovely.


LeDom du Vin

Info partly taken from Jan d'Amore website at and for more info also visit the winery website at

Step into the Green! Drink more Bio and Organic wines (and food) from sustainable culture and respect the environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment