A Sommelier Dream | A 1945 Vintage Horizontal
1945 Vintage Horizontal | © LeDomduVin 2016
LeDomduVin around the world - Map courtesy of Google Map
- Conditions (Temperature and Humidity level, Ventilation, Airflow, etc..),
- Environments (make sure the cellars and warehouses are clean and clear of anything that could damage the wines, like humidity problems generating mold or bad smell, etc...)
- Security (CCTV monitoring, fingerprints access doors, magnetic or electronic door locks, etc...)
- IN/OUT movements, inventory, stocktaking, etc...
- Inspection of goods receiving and goods leaving the warehouse
These allow me to constantly be with these bottles, provide them with cares if needed and monitor their evolution and ageing.
|At night, I put on my black Sommelier outfit © LeDomduVin 2018|
- when he invites very important Chinese and Hongkongese guests, as he knows I do not speak and barely understand Cantonese and even less Mandarin, so he is sure that I will not repeat a thing of what has been said around the table (😊).
- or, when he invites friends and/or very important foreigner guests (French, English, Europeans, Americans, Australians, etc..), as it is important for him to show them his "savoir-vivre" and "service quality" provided by a classically trained French-American Sommelier born in Bordeaux (moreover grandson of a winemaker from Bordeaux) as a Maitre D' and Sommelier to do the service for the night.
On June 21st, 2016, during one of these private dinners where I had (once again) to put on my Sommelier outfit for my boss, I had the chance to open, taste, prepare, decant and serve wines from 1957, 61, 62, 70, 82 and 89 ... it was truly memorable .... (read the post about this dinner here)...
However, that dinner of June 26th, 2016, it was even more special than usual... It was Mythical...
I opened a horizontal of 4 of the top Bordeaux wines from the 1945 vintage ... and although I opened many 1945 vintage wines in my career, it was mostly 1 bottle at the time... this time was quite exceptional as in front of me stood 4 bottles of 1945... a horizontal line up of highly sought-after legendary wines as I rarely had the chance to see or had the opportunity to prepare and serve ever before side by side... It was amazing
The dinner took place in a private apartment overlooking Hong Kong ... I let you enjoy the view.
Hong Kong view from mid-levels | © LeDomduVin 2016
- Domaine de La Romanée Conti Montrachet 2004, Côte de Beaune, Burgundy
- Domaine de La Romanée Conti Romanée Conti 1966, Côte de Nuits, Burgundy
- Haut Brion 1945, Pauillac, Bordeaux
- Petrus 1945, Pomerol, Bordeaux
- Mouton Rothschild 1945, Pauillac, Bordeaux
- Latour 1945, Pauillac, Bordeaux
- Egon Muller-Scharzhof Scharzhofberber Auslese GK 2003, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany
|"Woman in bottle" by © LeDomduVin 2018|
A metaphor that came to my mind to illustrate the bottle opening paragraph I wrote above
The 7 bottles of the dinner | © LeDomduVin 2016
Petrus 1945 | © LeDomduVin 2016
Mouton Rothschild 1945 | © LeDomduVin 2016
Latour 1945 | © LeDomduVin 2016
|Egon Muller-Scharzhof Scharzhofberber Auslese GK 2003 | © LeDomduVin 2016|
And look at those corks...
My favorite wines of the dinner (red only as I loved the two whites), starting from the best (in my true and honest opinion)... also considering that they all had specific and unique features that make them wines of exception in any case...
1. Petrus 1945
2. DRC Romanée Conti 1966
3. Haut-Brion 1945
4. Mouton Rothschild 1945
5. Latour 1945
Another night, another dinner... and once again, it was a Sommelier's dream come true, especially for a seasoned Sommelier like me ...It was a rare and unforgettable opportunity to serve these wines side by side that almost never arises due to the lack of availability or extremely low quantities of these wines on the market ... a rare opportunity that may not represent itself anymore ….
Superb and unforgettable wines... A Sommelier dream....
LeDomduVin Portrait with the bottles | © LeDomduVin 2016
I already can hear some of you talking about money and prices, trying to figure out for how much was on the table? Well, it's easy. I wrote the Wine-Searcher Average Market Prices (as of today August 31st 2018) in HKD, USD and EUROS for all of these wines just below each tasting note for you to have a rough idea of each bottle price.
However, if we calculate the total amount based on these prices, we need to add the numbers as follow (in HKD for example as there are more digits, so it looks more impressive 😊)
- DRC Montrachet 2004 = 58,000 HKD
- DRC RC 1966 = 123,500 HKD
- Haut Brion 1945 = 35,500 HKD
- Petrus 1945 = 91,460 HKD
- Mouton Rothschild 1945 = 122,000 HKD
- Latour 1945 = 36,900 HKD
- Egon Muller Scharzhofberber 2003 = 2,290 HKD
- Grand Total = 469,650 HKD
Impressive, isn't it?
Oh, by the way, did you like my drawing of "Woman in Bottle"? I bet you did... (😊)
LeDomduVin a.k.a. Dominique Noël